Jersey Day is coming up! Friday, August 31st 2018 we encourage all our employees, partners and friends to join in and wear your favourite sporting jersey to school or work to show their support of the DonateLife Network, and begin the conversation with your friends and families about Organ Donation.
JERSEY DAY is a simple concept designed to raise awareness of The Organ and Tissue Authority and the DONATE LIFE network. JERSEY DAY has been inspired by the story of NATHAN GREMMO who was tragically lost in an accident in May 2015. Nathan’s family chose to give the gift of life to others to honour the legacy of Nathan’s generous personality. One organ and tissue donor can transform the lives of 10 or more people.
- Australia is a world leader for successful transplant outcomes.
- Around 1,500 people are on Australian organ transplant waiting lists at any one time.
- To lift donation rates the Australian Government, with State and Territory Governments, has implemented a national reform programme, ‘A World’s Best Practice Approach to Organ and Tissue Donation for Transplantation’.
- The Australian Government funds dedicated doctors and nurses in 72 hospitals to work specifically on organ and tissue donation. These positions are part of the national DonateLife Network which also includes State Medical Directors, Organ Donor Coordinators and Donor Family Support Coordinators.
- In 2014, 1,117 Australians received an organ transplant as a result of the generosity of 378 organ donors whose families agreed to donation at the time of their loved one’s death.
- Complementing the significant progress made in the clinical sector, Australia needs more active engagement and awareness within the community to increase Australia’s family consent rate.
- The Australian Government’s national reform programme includes actions to increase clinical capacity and capability and to increase community engagement and awareness in relation to organ and tissue donation. In Australia the family will always be asked to confirm the donation decision of the deceased before donation can proceed.
Make your decision count this Jersey Day by joining the Australian Organ Donor Register at www.donatelife.gov.au
Right now 1400 Australians are waiting for a life-saving transplant.
Registering is quick, it’s easy and could one day save up to 10 lives.